University Art Museums Australia (UAMA) is a membership organisation driving advocacy and research on behalf of its constituents to enrich their respective communities, build networks and contribute to the nation’s cultural and intellectual life. UAMA represents professionally run art museums and galleries in the university sector that are responsible for university owned art collections. Australian university art museums deliver dynamic exhibition, public and education programs, and in contributing to academic and cultural realms, they demonstrate best practice in visual arts and museum research, production and community engagement.
The recently released Survey Report presents aggregated membership data collected from 22 university art museums over the three-year period, 2017-2019, reflecting the significant and dynamic roles they play in local and regional contexts, and nationally, as a major part of Australia's cultural ecology. You can view the Survey Report here and the Media Release here.
The agreed objectives of University Art Museums Australia are:
- _ Research, promote and advocate on behalf of the Australian university art museum sector;
- _ Lead an exchange of ideas, information, exhibitions and staff, and facilitate occasional seminars, conferences and forums that develop and promote the university art museum sector and build strategic links with individuals and organisations;
- _ Develop and demonstrate best practice/professional standards for the sector;
- _ Contribute to the public understanding of the significance of university art museums to the broader Australian museums sector;
- _ Consider the broader political, economic, theoretical and professional contexts in which the group functions and improve and protect those contexts (advocacy and leadership); and
- _ Explore opportunities that may arise that meet the objectives of UAMA and its member.
Download UAMA’s Terms of Reference here.
UAMA appreciates the support provided by the following organistaions and government bodies to the UAMA members.
- _ Australia Council for the Arts
- _ Ministry for the Arts
- _Arts NSW
- _Department Arts WA
- _Creative Victoria
- _Museums Australia
- _ICOM - International Council of Museums – The World Museum Community
- _AAANZ - Art Association of Australia and New Zealand
- _NAVA - National Association for the Visual Arts
- _Public Galleries Association of Victoria